Latest posts by Rebecca Woodhead (see all)
- Are You a Fruit Fly Or an Oak Tree? – 17/07/2014
- Hello Again! Some Lessons on Blogging on Social Media… – 25/01/2014
- Get Traffic to Your Blog, Stop Writer’s Block, and Make Money – 01/06/2013
- The Starving Writer: Why is it Not a Myth? – 28/05/2013
- Are You a Roundhead or a Cavallier? – 14/05/2013
Last summer, I set out my dreams. I committed them to YouTube, and I went to work. Here’s the video:
- To become an Amazon bestselling author. This felt COMPLETELY unachievable, but I got clear on it and I put it out there.
- To help people who feel held back from publication by poverty.
- To help people who feel held back from publication due to health issues or perceived inability.
- To publish stories that felt real to people, and helped to lift them out of their pain and inspire them.
- To help aspiring entrepreneurs, particularly at the point where creativity and entrepreneurship cross.
- In particular to help inspire aspiring authors and give direction to aspiring Directors.
Well … job done! I did all of these things over the last year. I was an Amazon bestselling author by the time I’d finished the video. I hadn’t bothered to check when I made it, but when I did I was already on the lists. I’ve stayed in the bestseller lists and best reviewed lists (sometimes in the minor lists and sometimes in the major ones) throughout the last year, and have even reached the #1 spot in some lists.
I became a columnist for Writing Magazine …
and for The Small Business Owner Magazine …
This enabled me to reach aspiring authors and entrepreneurs. It also enabled me to interview people such as the Director of Engineering for Google, Chee Chew, and authorpreneurial legend, Brendon Burchard …
Aside from that, the influence I built made it easy for me to interview people like the legendary Ray Higdon, Jairek Robbins (son of Tony Robbins), and numerous other top authors and entrepreneurs. During this time, my social media influence and reach went through the roof. I even became the most influential woman on Google Plus in England, and was celebrity verified by Google. Mashable also mentioned me as one of the people that marketers on Google Plus should circle/follow.
This gave me the platform to reach out and help thousands of people for free who were affected by the recession, and to assist them in making money online or through their writing for the first time. It also gave me the forum to do the same for people who’d been told that they would never write because of health problems or other reasons.
Meanwhile, my book accumulated reviews, and people emailed reviews directly to me, saying that my book had helped and inspired them, and that they felt as if they knew my characters, like friends.
I set up a private Facebook group for entrepreneurs who wanted to be more creative, and creative people who wanted to be more entrepreneurial, and it has been a total phenomenon. Members of the group are pinging out books and products all the time. Here’s what one of the members said:
By the way, the coaching she’s talking about is my Directional Coaching course (remember in the video that I said I wanted to give direction to aspiring Directors? Ta-da!) If you’re curious, by the way, the pass phrase to get access to the course info is ‘get direction course’.
I’ve also spoken on stage, and was on a panel of ePublishing experts at Swanwick Writers’ School this summer.
In addition to that, I created my first two information products: The Right to Write and
I’m now making a full-time income, working part-time from home and living my dream. What could you do in the next year if you just got really clear on your own direction and took action to make your dreams come true? How big can you dream? Make sure you dream big enough dreams to inspire you into action the moment that you wake up!
What’s your dream? Leave it in the comments, then come back here in a year and see whether or not you achieved it.